lm_sensors in an embedded environment

Sorry, it just occured to me that when I said "embedded system monitor" I
meant an autonomus, stand alone device that sits in the background and
measues power supplies, ambient temps, or any other external system data. I
was sort of envisioning a black box that ran linux, and was dedicated to
collecting maitenence information.

Seems like lm_sensor would be a good start, or am I way off base?

Thanks again,
Rob