Myson MTP008 driver ported to 2.6 kernel

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 05:12:12PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> A note on hardware layout. As I understand it, the MTP008 has some pins
> which can have different functions. The original driver gave the user
> the possibility to change that, right? I do not think this is the
> correct approach. In the real world, the hardware layout is defined and
> doesn't change. The BIOS is supposed to properly setup the chip
> according to this. Unless you have evidences that systems exists with
> MTP008 chips, those BIOSes do NOT properly initialize the chip, I would
> like the driver to trust the original settings, and stick to them. This
> is less error-prone for the user, and should save some code and memory.
>
> If we go that way, then you do not have to handle the conditions in each
> callback function. Simply do not create the sysfs files which do not
> match the current setup (that is, create in4* or temp2*, but not both
> sets.)

I agree, but according to Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface the
temp[1-3]_type file is Read/Write which suggests that either the driver
needs to support writes and the changes to the chip configuration that
implies, or the documentation needs to be changed.

Regards,
	Andrew
--
mailto:xanni at xanadu.net                         Andrew Pam