Fan control with Winbond W83627EHF

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:44:51 +0200, Kjeld Flarup <kjeld.flarup at liberalismen.dk> wrote:

>I have an ASUS A8V-E SE Motherboard with a Winbond W83627EHF chip. Im
>running kernel 2.13
>I got lm_sensors detect the fan speed now, but the pwmconfig script fails.
>As far as I can see it is because there are no fan1_pwm devices created
>by the driver.
>
>I only got these devices with these current values:
>fan1_div:8
>fan1_input:1360
>fan1_min:1205
>fan2_div:8
>fan2_input:1834
>fan2_min:1704
>fan3_div:4
>fan3_input:1360
>fan3_min:0
>
>_div & _input is readonly, while I can write to _min. But writing to _min does not seem to have any efect.

fan?_min is not a speed control, it is a low speed alarm setpoint.

>Is it possible to control the fan with the above or does the drivers miss something?
Controlling fan speed is a different issue, no pwm means the speed
control is not available (yet).  Check your mobo, I have a similar
Winbond chip on a Sempron SktA mobo but no fan speed control hardware.

>If the drivers are missing something, then I'm willing to code whats needed if I can get some hints.
If you dual-boot windows you can get a second opinion on hardware
with SpeedFan <http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php>, particularly
if fans are controllable.

Read up on lmsensors site docs, the chip datasheet, and have a go.
People here will help.

Cheers,
Grant.