question about comment in i2c.h

Ohaio Hideki,

> I want to ask about the following comment in i2c.h.
> What does "one more for read length in block process call" mean?
> In i2c_smbus_block_process_call and i2c_smbus_xfer_emulated,
> block[0] is used for the read length.

As strange as it may sound considering that this comment has been
around since June 2002, my reading of the code confirms that you are
right and this comment isn't. Digging through the CVS history, I found
that the i2c_smbus_block_process_call used to work differently in its
first incarnation (2002-06-18). It was originally expecing the
underlying implementation (whether hardware or software emulated) to
append the received bytes after the sent ones in the data buffer. This
explains the additional byte required and the comment. It was changed
to the current logic (received bytes overwrite sent bytes at the
beginning of the data buffer) a few weeks after (2002-07-08), but the
changes to union i2c_smbus_data were not reverted.

I fixed this in i2c CVS (kernel/i2c.h) and lm_sensors CVS
(kernel/include/i2c-dev.h), and have prepared a patch for Linux 2.6
which I will send to Greg KH later. You get credits for the discovery,
thanks a lot for reporting.

Arigato,
--
Jean Delvare