Asus Z80V/M6V i2c support

Hello everyone,

I have a few problems reading sensor data on an ASUS M6V notebook. The
notebook has an Intel 915PM chipset which should be supported by the
i2c-i801 driver. The problem is that the SMBus device is hidden by the bios
at startup similar to other boards (as I have already seen in
drivers/pci/quirks.c of the kernel source). The problem is that with the
ICH6 the SMBus device cannot be enabled anymore as with ICH[2-5] chipsets.
The data sheet indicates that the SMBus device can be enabled by setting the
Function Disable register which is listed in the chipset configuration
register memory map (p. 248 of the data sheet). Unfortunately I do not have
a clue as how to get access to these registers.
It would be really great if somebody could give me some pointers as how I
could interface these registers or at least some links with further
information as I am new to kernel programming.
Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.

Michal