lm87 alarm threshold changed mysteriously

I don't see anything in CHANGES or the CVS log that sounds like it would fix this.
Strange since I assume there are no writes happening to any registers in normal operation, just reads for monitoring.
Could be noise on the I2C bus or even cosmic rays that flipped a bit in the LM87.
The server wasn't in Denver, was it (high altitude)?
Sorry no great ideas on how to answer 2-4.
Hope it doesn't happen again...
mds