lm-sensors newb needs help

Lost a machine recently not sure if temp or etc had to do with it but it
prompted me to follow up with the last aspect of my servers monitoring,
lm_sensors.

One of the machines I am working with has a PC Chips M863G mb with SIS
741GX/963L chipsets.

Now I can see a winbond chip on the board, but got nothing when I
compiled in support for it. Through trial and error I finally have the
following showing up in dmesg.

i2c /dev entries driver
i2c-sis96x version 1.0.0
sis96x_smbus 0000:00:02.1: SiS96x SMBus base address: 0x0c00
it87: Found IT8705F chip at 0x290, revision 3

However when I do I get

root # sensors
No sensors found!
root # sensors-detect
Can't access /proc/modules! at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 1837.
root # i2cdetect -l
i2c-0   unknown         SiS96x SMBus adapter at 0x0c00          Algorithm unavailable

Now I have no clue what to do with the sensors.conf file with regard to
how I get the values and etc to go in there.

Do I have the stuff compiled as modules? I have all algorithms compiled
in for i2c? Not sure if I missed something or what I need to do?

Any help or pointers in the right direction is greatly appreciated. I
have a variety of machines to do this on, but if I can get the basics
down. I am sure I can get the rest.

Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,