bmc and fan speed control

Yani Ioannou wrote:

>On 5/9/05, Mark Studebaker <mds at mds.gotdns.com> wrote:
>

>>2.4 bmcsensors doesn't have write support at all.
>>In fact I didn't realize that 2.6 _did_ have write support.
>>Nice Yani!
>>That is obviously a requirement for setting anything.
>>

>Well I added it for setting max/min/hysteresis limits when porting the
>driver but I couldn't actually test it (my bmc doesn't offer any write
>support) .. so..err I'm surprised if it works :-). I haven't heard
>about it one way or the other from anyone yet.
>

>>I've never seen  an IPMI SDR that looked  like PWM control or fan divisor.
>>IPMI systems tend to want to control their  own fan speeds, in my experience, so taking manual control
>>of PWM doesn't really fit  the IPMI paradigm too well.
>>

>That's my (limited) experience too, Aj what specific bmc/motherboard
>are you using? I'd be interested to take a look at any documentation.

Intel SHG2 motherboard which I believe uses a Sahalee BMC. It also
employs an ADM1021 which I think does the fan control. I really just
want a way to adjust the fan control parameters, or disable fan control
altogether so that the fans run at full speed. After a recent BIOS
upgrade the fans have been stuck at 2/3 speed regardless of temperature.
Unfortunately this machine has already been deployed, so if I need
console access to adjust the fan speed then it's not going to happen.

The "Technical Product Specification" for the SHG2 is here:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/shg2/sb/cs-006520.htm

[ ...]

Thanks!
Aj