linux-2.6.7 parallel port adapter

Hi Nils,

> using the parallel adapter (light) in 2.6.7
>
> #CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT=y
> CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT_LIGHT is not set

These lines make little sense. I guess you really mean:
#CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT is not set
CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT_LIGHT=y
Right?

> causes a kernel panic ...
> has anyone had similar problems or is it fixed
> in later versions (i did only a quick search)?

Never had any report about this. Can't tell whether this has a chance to
be fixed in 2.6.11+ without the kernel panic data.

> using the normal parallel port adapter
>
> CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT=y
> #CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT_LIGHT is not set
>
> seems to work fine with sysfs but
> causes problems over /dev/i2c-0 :
> i2cdetect just takes forever to complete a run
> e.g. just the following line took 5 minutes (and isnt correct)
>
> 20: UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
>
> removing the physical adapter during the run, allows
> the program to terminate immediatly...
>
> is that a problem with the i2c-to-parallel adapter ?

Could be that your hardware adapter uses a different wiring than you
told the driver to use. Check the "type" parameter and the i2c-parport.h
definition file. If your adapter uses a different wiring from all those
defined, you'll have to add a new type.

You should try the bit_test=1 parameter to the i2c-algo-bit module, it
will test the lines when i2c-parport(-light) is loaded so you know
whether the driver uses the correct pins or not.

Hope that helps,
--
Jean Delvare