Writing new driver for FM3104 on Cirrus 9301 processor

Benny Chen wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I have gone through much of the doco and really need your help. I am about
> to embark on writing a driver for the RTC and Watch Dog timer for our
> system.  I have some questions and hopefully you can help.
>
> In our system, the FM3104 chip?s SCL and SDA line are connected to the EECLK
> and EESDA (like GPIO) line on the processor.  Hence, I would need to use
> some bit bang algo to talk to the chip.  But I would want to maximise the
> use of existing code in the i2c directory but don?t know what I should be
> writing.

There is already an existing EP93xx GPIO I2C adapter driver present in
linux-cirrus-2.6 (I am unsure about 2.4).  I can verify it works on
EP9301, EP9312, and EP9315.  Yes, it uses the bit-bang algo.

http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/index.html

> 1.	For both the RTC and Watch dog drivers, do I need to write both the
> adapter driver and Driver driver  or just a driver like the ds1307.c?

Most likely, just the client driver.

> 2.	Which existing src would be a good template for me?

ds1337.c looks to be a fairly good example of implementing an integrated
i2c client / character driver.

> 3.	The DS1307. c code, it do not have an i2c_adapter structure defined,
> Hence, how do it knows what algo it would use to talk to the DS1307 chip?

Read and understand "Attaching to an adapter" and "The detect client
function" in Documentation/i2c/writing-clients.  The algorithm used is a
property of the adapter itself.

-Cory

--
Cory T. Tusar
Embedded Systems Engineer

     by definition, not smart enough to debug it."  --Brian W. Kernighan