RFC: vid scaling does not belong in kernel?

Hi Jean, All,

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:23:08 +0200, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:

>Hi Grant,
>
>> So I don't have vrm, therfore I don't need to scale vid, that's the
>> logical reduction I've been trying to reach.  Why am I scaling a
>> value when nothing can write access vrm?
>
>You do have VRM, it is only auto-detected from the CPU model instead of
>being set by the user. You still need to convert {VID, VRM} into a
>voltage value.

s/scaling/mapping/ sorry, I knew what I meant :)  So what I have missed
is the connection to this auto-cpu-detect value for vrm.  During last
query on this some weeks? ago I was told make it settable from user-space,
now it seems that is wrong track.  I'll survey drivers using it and see
if I can work it out.  That's why I did the cross-reference stuff in first
place, see which driver uses what to cherry-pick possible solutions.

Cheers,
Grant.