RFC locking and rate limit updates for i2c?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:54:27 +0100 (CET), "Jean Delvare" <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
>> How driver wait for that?  If writer taken lock, is reader
>> blocked?
>> Not as far as I see.
>
>It is blocked. It will wait until the lock is released and can be
>acquired again. This is why forgetting to release a lock leads to a
>driver lockup.

readers don't check or take the lock?  only set_something callbacks?

>I will (try to) provide patches for the following drivers today: lm63,
>lm80, lm83, lm87, lm90, lm92, pc87360. As a side note, the w83l785ts
>driver is read-only so it obviously doesn'y need to be updated.

I have one more sitting here, fscher.c, waiting for feedback on
what I post already.  Glad I didn't get to lm?? then :)

Then I go check ones didn't appear on survey list because they use
different names.  Oh, they are off my list, they're yours? :)

my work list list at:
http://scatter.mine.nu/lmsensors/list-driver-write-locking-check

will add others to it as I see patches appear, just to scoreboard
progress on locking issue.

semi-related:
I need a policy call on adm1026, adm1031 as they don't comply
with other drivers data store, saving fan_div other than 0..3
value.  It make fan_div update needlessly complex and different
to other drivers I've encountered so far.  The conversion of
0..3 to 1,2,4,8 is a single '<<' operation, the reverse is more
complex if-then-else-if-then-else... statement only needed once
in other drivers.

Cheers,
Grant.