RFC locking and rate limit updates for i2c?

Hi Philip, all,

> It's obvious to me
> that the functions that *set* the values need to be protected to prevent
> an SMP machine from borking things up.  That's why I added the down/up
> calls in all of the write paths of the drivers I wrote.

It looks to me like locking is only needed when we R/U/WB a register
which has more than one "function", like is the case for fan clock
dividers for the ADM1026. In the case a given register has only one
function of interest to our driver, is there still a benefit in using
the lock? Concrete example anyone?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare