RFC locking and rate limit updates for i2c?

Hi Grant:

* Grant Coady <grant_nospam at dodo.com.au> [2005-03-23 09:25:25 +1100]:
> Hi All,
>
> Requesting information on two issues, taking a the lock for
> read/modify/write i2c chip update cycles, and rate limiting
> write access to i2c bus to prevent user-space DoS on the i2c
> bus with continuous update requests.
>
> i2c locking:
>
> Thinking about the fan_div setting, it is a read/modify/write
> (RMW) operation to a chip register, should we take action to
> prevent another process accessing the chip on i2c during this
> RMW action?

Looks like Philip addressed this one.

> preventing DoS, updating i2c bus chips
>
> Another query, we take care not to read chip too frequently,
> what stops user-space DoS'ing the i2c bus with continuous
> writes by constant update requests?

Nothing prevents it, except that you need root to do those writes/updates.
Considering all the other damage you can do as root... there's not much
point in any further protection for the I2C bus.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com