Memory leak in I2C (ticket #1898)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:56:51 +0100, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> > Here is the list in the order they are loaded:
> >
> >     i2c-core i2c-dev i2c-proc i2c-i801 lm87b lm93 eeprom pcf8574
> >
> > When I found the appearant memory leak I was only loading and
> > unloading modules lm93, eeprom, pcf8574.
>
> Tried with i2c-core, i2c-proc, i2c-viapro and w83781d, with only w83781d
> cycling. I noticed that the "free" memory as reported by top would
> decrease almost to 0. However it would NOT generate a memory shortage.
> If I run Firefox at this point, it'll get all the memory it needs (and I
> disabled swap for the test). So I don't think I am able to reproduce
> what you described.
>
> Can you possibly try with each of the three modules (lm93, eeprom,
> pcf8574) individually and see if all cause the trouble, or only one of
> them?

Sure.  It will have to wait till Tuesday, when I get back into work,
but yeah I can do that.  I was merely working other tasks until I
could see if you could reproduce.

> How much memory do you have on your system?

Between 4-16 gig (don't remember what was on that particular system,
but all of our systems have between 4-16gig).  I'll get you the
precise figure when I get back in to work.

Cheers...james