Bugzilla setup for Lm_sensors

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Phil, hi Axel,
>

>>Please see below for our conversation on Bugzilla topics.  Comments
>>wanted!
>

> First of all, thanks a lot for working on this. I will be very happy when
> we finally move from our old ticket system to bugzilla :) Don't get me
> wrong, the old ticket system isn't all bad and I appreciate the work
> that was made on it, but the limitations it had (no possible follow-up
> by the submitter to name only the major one) made it hard to use
> efficiently.

Thanks, I wrote it a looooong time ago. :')  Glad it's served us well,
but we've definitely grown out of it.  I expected to have, say, a few
hundred tickets.  Not the ~1,700 we have now!

>>I'm thinking 'i2c' and 'lm_sensors' for the products. And then breaking
>>out each driver (chip and bus) for the components, each app in 'prog'
>>(e.g. 'i2c-detect','sensors-detect',etc.) and adding either a catchall
>>for the rest of the code or breaking them out further (e.g. 'dev',
>>'proc', 'core', etc.).
>>
>>What do you think?
>

> What are these "Products"? When looking at the kernel's bugzilla I see
> categories and components within the categories, but no products.
>
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/query.cgi

I was looking at RH's:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/query.cgi?format=simple

I think it's the same, it's just a labelling difference.

> I am not sure that formally splitting i2c and lm_sensors as products is
> wise. There are a couple bus drivers in the i2c package while the other
> ones are in lm_sensors. Also, the split between i2c and lm_sensors might
> not be clear to the user so it might confuse them more than help.
>

>>I wished there were a hierachical structure in components, so that one
>>could use
>>
>>|-->chips
>>|  |-->...
>>|  |-->...
>>|-->busses
>>
>>but there isn't, it has to be kept flat (or we embed the hierachy in
>>the components like "chips:lm93").
>

> I would use the Categories for that. I would propose the following
> categories, with non-exhaustive components lists:
>
> i2c core drivers
>     |--> i2c-core
>     |--> i2c-proc
>     |--> i2c-dev
>     |--> i2c-isa
> bus drivers
>     |--> i2c-ali15x3
>     |--> i2c-ali1535
>     |--> i2c-i801
>     |--> i2c-viapro
>     |--> ...
> chip drivers
>     |--> adm1021
>     |--> adm1025
>     |--> adm1031
>     |--> it87
>     |--> lm63
>     |--> lm75
>     |--> lm80
>     |--> lm83
>     |--> lm85
>     |--> lm87
>     |--> lm90
>     |--> lm92
>     |--> lm93
>     |--> via686a
>     |--> vt1211
>     |--> vt8231
>     |--> w83781d
>     |--> w83627hf
>     |--> ...
> userspace tools
>     |--> sensors
>     |--> sensord
>     |--> sensors-detect
>     |--> i2cdetect
>     |--> i2cdump
>     |--> i2cset
>     |--> isadump
>     |--> isaset
>     |--> ddcmon
>     |--> ...
>
> I guess it somehow covers the hierarchical structure you were thinking of.

I like this.  Seems more intuitive than what I originally was thinking.

>>The main purpose of components is for developers to be auto-assigned
>>them and to be able to sort easier through the bugs.
>

> Completely agree. It would help much if we could all get an alert when
> one of "our" drivers gets a report, instead of having to watch the
> tickets as they are created and ignore those we don't feel competent
> for.

Phil