Linux 2.6.10-rc3 for 8xx with I2C config enabled fails ...

Hello Alexander:

* Povolotsky, Alexander <Alexander.Povolotsky at marconi.com> [2004-12-18 10:57:38 -0500]:
> Hi Mark,

Not sure why you're writing me privately...

> I have FreeScale (Motorola) 8xx custom board with single 24C02 I2C EEPROM,
> connected to the I2C bus.
>
> Building Linux (latest and greatest ;-) ) 2.6.10-rc3 FAILS for 8xx with I2C
> config enabled  - see attached below -
> but it works in Linux 2.4 .
>
> So I want to try to port 8xx i2c bus driver code from the 2.4.26 (which
> works !) to Linux 2.6 ...
>
> In Linux 2.6 distribution I see:
>
> .../drivers/i2c/busses and .../drivers/i2c/algos
>
> I do not see the same subdirectories in the Linux 2.4 distribution ...
>
> Is there any documentation (or may be you could kindly explain to me)
> what was the idea behind reorganizing drivers sub-directories between 2.4
> and 2.6 ?
> It looks like those changes are beyond simply 'cosmetic' improvements ? - am
> I correct ?

AFAIK, the directory org was just cosmetic.

>  - I would highly appreciate this answer, since it would help me to attempt
> to try make it work in 2.6 !

If you haven't already, take a look here for documentation:

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/docs.html

And if you have any more questions, please send them to the sensors mailing list
which I've CC'ed.  BTW: there's no need to subscribe, the list is open.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com