Please list which file to etc/rc* file modiify

[please reply to the list, not to me]

Hi Rob,

> sensors works when i tell it sensors in the terminal, but the values are
> off (double), Per the FAQ it tells me to modify the conf file.  I have
> an asus A7N8XE-deluxe, which i know uses the asb100 file. When I modify
> the file in that area, cut the fan info to divide by 2, and swap the
> labels for CPU and Motherboard.  Save, then do sensors-s then rebooted,
> and none of my changes to effect.

This is expected, because rebooting will reset the hardware monitoring
chip configuration. "sensors -s" needs to be run after each boot.

> asb100-i2c-1-2d
> (...)
> M/B Temp: +52?C (high = +0?C, hyst = +0?C)<------really is cpu temp
> CPU Temp (Intel):
> +40?C (high = +45?C, hyst = +40?C) <----40 is likely the mobo temp
> Power Temp:
> +127?C (high = +0?C, hyst = +0?C)
> CPU Temp (AMD):
> +25?C (high = +80?C, hyst = +75?C)
>
> I dont know what the intel and amd  temps are. I have an AMD processor,
> and it runs about 55 degrees.

I think you are correct. temp1 is CPU temp, temp2 is motherboard temp,
and temp3 and temp4 are not used. You can hide them by using the
following lines in /etc/sensors.conf:
  ignore temp3
  ignore temp4
Make sure to add these in the asb100-* section.

> To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:
>
> Which file? there are many folders and files.
>
> #----cut here----
> # I2C adapter drivers
> modprobe i2c-nforce2
> # I2C chip drivers
> modprobe asb100
> modprobe smbus-arp
> modprobe eeprom
> # sleep 2 # optional
> /usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended
> #----cut here----
>

> I think that this may be why its not recognizing my changes, becuase it
> doesnt know where in the conf file to look?  The etc/rc additions
> perhaps tell it where to look in the conf file, but I dont know which
> etc/rc file to add too, there are rc1-6 folders, and each has many
> files.  Which folder and file do I add too?

The exact thing to do depends on the distribution, which is why
sensors-detect cannot give more details.

If your distribution has a file named /etc/rc.d/rc.local, the most simple
solution is to put the lines there. That's what I do.

Else, if your distribution has an /etc/sysconfig directory, then you
should let sensors-detect write its configuration file here (it should
ask you), then get the lm_sensors.init script in lm_sensors2/prog/init
and copy it to /etc/rc.d/init.d. Then you should be able to enable the
execution at boot time by using the chkconfig command of Mandrake.

This only holds if you installed lm_sensors manually. If you installed it
from Mandrake packages, then the init script should already be present
in /etc/rc.d/init.d, and all you need to do is create the config file
with sensors-detect, and maybe activate the script by using chkconfig.
Check the manual page of chkconfig for details about how you need to run
it to enable services at boot time.

I cannot tell more since I am not using a Mandrake or a similar
distribution myself. Hopefully you'll figure out the rest by yourself.

Jean