rpm of 0 with smsc47m1 does not cause alarm

Hi David,

>I have recently noticed that one of the fans on a box I am monitoring is
>no longer sending a tachometer signal, so sensors(1) indicates the
>RPM=0.  This is as you would expect.   However, I would expect
>sensors(1) to report an ALARM for this fan.   That is not what I am seeing:
>
>smsc47m1-isa-0680
>Adapter: ISA adapter
>superio,Fan1:
>              0 RPM  (min = 1396 RPM, div = 8)
>superio,Fan2:
>              0 RPM  (min = 1396 RPM, div = 8)
>

># cat /proc/sys/dev/sensors/smsc47m1-isa-0680/alarms
>0
>
>Hmmm...  This indicates to me that maybe the part doesn't
>think there's a problem??

I would say so. Alarms are reported as generated by the hardware, the
sensors program doesn't compute them.

However, this could also be caused by a software bug, or maybe there is a
way to reconfigure the chip (sometimes alarms are individually
maskable). I'll take a look at the datasheet again when I am back home
in the evening. In the meantime, could you please:

1* Tell us which version of lm_sensors you are using, with which Linux
kernel.

2* Provide a dump of the chip (isadump -f 0x0680 0x80).

--
Jean Delvare