Sensor support for IBM PC300PL

Hello!

If possible, I'd like to ask a follow-up question to Jean Delvare's reply
dated (Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:01:00 +0100) with the subject "Re: Sensor
support
for IBM PC300GL".

I have a number of IBM 300PL's currently running SuSE 9.0 (2.4.21) on
which
I'd dearly love to use lmsensors.  If I understand Jean's reply correctly,
the recommendation is to obtain the latest lmsensors/i2c (v2.8.8), remove
the two traps for IBM hardware, compile & install the packages.

Then, it sounds like lmsensors will either work, or not...  in the latter
case possibly causing damage to the notorious Atmel eeprom.

My questions:

(1) Is this a correct synopsis of Jean's instructions?

(2) Will the absense or presence of the Atmel issue be completely obvious?
    In other words, is there any possibility of lmsensors appearing to
    work, while actually malfunctioning in some manner?

(3) My understanding is that the new I2C subsystem is required on a
v2.4.21
    kernel.  Once this new I2C subsystem is installed, however, I'm
    gathering that there is a possibility that other applications which
    require the old I2C subsystem may break.  Is that correct?

Once I am clear on these points, my intent is to attempt this test and
I would be happy to report back to the list if it would be of any use.

I very much appreciate your time, and any insight or advice you can offer.

Hannes.

--<*>--

For reference, this is the previous email to which I am referring:

>     * To: "Jim Deij" <jim at xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     * Subject: Re: Sensor support for IBM PC300GL
>     * From: "Jean Delvare" <khali at xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     * Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:01:00 +0100
>     * Cc: sensors at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:57:09 +0200, Jim Deij wrote
>
> > I have an IBM PC300GL (6275-500) machine running with Debian unstable
> > (kernel 2.4.26-1-686). I installed your sensor package via apt, but
> > whenever I start the sensors-detect script it tells me:
> > [code]
> >  System vendor: IBM
> >  BIOS version: PDKT31AUS
> > Sorry, we won't let you go on. IBM systems are known to have
> > serious problems with lm_sensors, resulting in hardware failures.
> > For more information, see README.thinkpad or
> > http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/README.thinkpad.
> > [/code]
>
> True, we have a detection mechanism in sensors-detect.
>
> > I see in the release files on your site that you are working on the
IBM
> > problem, but is there any possibility for you to add in the support
for my
> > PC300GL machine? This motherboard is (as far as I know) also used in
old
> > Netfinity 3000 systems, although they had different BIOS'es. So that
would
> > help users with those systems aswell.
>
> True, I am working on this for quite some time now. The plan is to
> transparently workaround the Thinkpad issue (which really is an Atmel
AT24RF08
> issue) in the userspace tools (already done) and the 2.6 kernel drivers
(not
> done yet). We do *not* plan to do it on the 2.4 kernel drivers because
mixing
> an old i2c subsystem with new lm_sensors drivers would then be more
dangerous
> than ever (there is no such problem with 2.6 because all drivers are
part of
> the main tree so we know for sure that versions won't be mixed. Anyway,
you
> can still do the change manually on your 2.4 kernel if you don't want to
move
> to 2.6.
>
> I'm somewhat busy with real life these days, but still I'd like to help
you to
> get lm_sensors working on your system. We only had one person trying
this
> before (on a PC300PL). If it works for you as well I'll be able to go on
with
> removing the detection in sensors-detect and updating the 2.6 kernel
drivers.

> First step is to make sure that you are using lm_sensors 2.8.7 or CVS.
Do NOT
> use any earlier version since the hack suggested below would most likely
BREAK
> your system. 2.8.7 is the first version including my changes that
supposedly
> safely works around the problem. The IBM detection was left in place
just to
> make sure the new method had no side effect. I guess it doesn't have any
since
> we had no complaint so far.
>
> Let me insist. DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING IF YOUR ARE USING AN LM_SENSORS
VERSION
> EARLIER THAN 2.8.7.
>
> Once you know for sure you are using at least lm_sensors 2.8.7, you can
> manually disable the IBM check in sensors-detect. Add "return 1;" as the
first
> line of sub safe_system_vendor and you should be done. Then run
sensors-detect
> and report the full result. We'll see what your system holds and what
can be
> done with it.
>
> If you confirm that your system reboots fine after doing all this, then
this
> means that my changes really work as intended and I'll plain drop the
IBM