voodoo3 3000, Fedora 2, lm_sensors, and tv-out

Philip Edelbrock wrote:
> Ah, I didn't realize you were trying to do this under a 2.6.x kernel
> (which I think FC2 is, check /proc/version).  We haven't ported the
> bt869 driver over yet.  I think last we heard Berni (b-gruber at gmx.de)
> was working on the port.  Check with him, or use a 2.4.x kernel.
>
> Sorry for the hassle.
>

> Phil
>
> Marion Bates wrote:
>
>> Wow, thanks for replying so fast!
>>
>> I found another howto, very similar to Ollila's, here:
>> http://www.perturb.org/content/linux-voodoo3.txt  and at least it gave
>> me some diagnostic commands to run. Here they are, with their output:
>> [...]

I have received a patch for the bt869 on 2.6.x from another V3TV user,
but have not had time to work with it, except to clean up the white
space, and I guesss T.Reed has not forwarded it to the sensors list
himself yet, so I'll do it now ;)

Here is what T.Reed wrote at the time:
 > Curiousity got the better of me and I ended up porting the bt869
 > driver to work with the 2.6.8.1 kernel. Attached is a diff taken in
 > /usr/src/linux/drivers/i2c. I started with the lm_sensors-2.8.7
 > version of bt869.c and used a diff between lm_sensors ds1621.c and the
 > 2.6 version of ds1621.c to guide me through the porting process (that,
 > and numerous compiler errors  :)

And these are my findings on functionality:
 > As for functionality, I had more problems than you.  640x480 works out
 > of the box as the default mode, but I could not test any other modes
 > because the encoder seems to shut down as soon as I touch any of the
 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/*/* files, even just to cat the current values.
 > The 640x480 would go to a blue screen when I try to cat some value,
 > and test any other mode was futile because echoing to any of the files
 > would result in a blue screen.

I have to reload the module to get output working again.

I've barely skimmed the data sheet, so can't offer any improvements at
this time.

Marion Bates wrote:

 > eeprom-i2c-0-50
 > Adapter: I2C Voodoo3/Banshee adapter
 > Unknown EEPROM type (255).
 >
 > (I dunno what that's supposed to be telling me, but here it is
 > anyway.)

The eeprom module will get false positive hits on i2c clients on the
voodoo3 i2c bus.  You will need to include the line 'option eeprom
checksum=1' in modules.conf or modprobe.conf to prevent this.

I think the false hit you saw would be for the ddcmon client.

Are you in fact using a 2.6.x kernel?  With a 2.6 kernel you would look
in /sys/bus/i2c/devices/?-0044/

Cheers,

Perry
-----