SMBus device access

Hi!
I am trying to access a SMBus device that is supposed to be connected to
SMBus.
The hardware uses a SiS96x chipset SMBus controller and the SiS SMBus
driver loads fine, SMBus is detected properly.

My SMBus device is supposed to listen to address 0x92 which is quite
obviously a 10-bit address. The device is a custom programmed PIC
controller that controls a small display. By writing byte values to the
PIC it will display something on the display.

All my tries failed so far. I have to admit that I only tried a
userspace approach, i.e. through i2c-dev.

Everything I get is "Operation not permitted".

My test application is attached if anyone wants to have a look at the
nonsense I am trying ;)

I have looked the kernel i2c drivers up and down and cannot find any
hint why the write call fails, especially with the above error.

Oh yes, I am using a vanilla 2.6.7 kernel, i.e. no additional patches
applied.

Any hint is greatly appreciated since I am quite desperate by now.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19