AD7418 support

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:42:22 +0200, Togg wrote
> I have a Gateworks Avila Platform (IXP425 Xscale) with an AD7418
> Voltage/Temperature Sensor (Datasheet:
> http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/5632736AD7416_7_8_g.pdf)
>
> I didn't found any driver anywhere, so I wonder how difficult it
> would be to implement a driver. On my platform the chip is connected
> via I2C, base address 0x29. Voltages should be multiplied by 23.1

We don't support this family of chips yet. However, these chips look rather
simple and writing a driver for them should be straightforward.

> I don't have any experience on writing I2C drivers. Anyone knows if there
> are good reference drivers which could be used? Best solution for me
> would be if someone would implement this in a free minute :)

I think you could start from the adm1025 driver for the general structure. The
AD7416/7/8 have some 16-bit registers, you could take a look at the lm75
driver for how this should be handled.

A single driver should support the three chips. However, until we actually
meet an AD7416 or an AD7417, supporting only the AD7418 is fine.

We have a document explaining how one can write a driver to support a new chip:
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/developers/new_drivers
This is for 2.4. For 2.6 there is a porting guide in the kernel sources:
Documentation/i2c/porting-clients

Good luck.

--
Jean Delvare