MPX2/LM90 switching discussion

As some food for thought...

This sounds like a specific issue of a generic problem that has come up
recently on this list.  That is, i2c bus MUX's and additional busses.

This GPIO pin is probably controlling a MUX that chooses between two
different busses.  Tyan did a similar thing on some of it's
motherboards.  When the POST completes, they leave the GPIO set so that
the sensors are visible and not the SPD's on the RAM, so most people
don't care, but the functionality is there to switch the MUX and talk to
the other devices.  There is also a "driver" for a Phillips? chip that
is an "in-line" MUX that's been talked about here recently.

In summary, my point is all of these could be implemented using a
"loopback" or "filter" bus driver that takes control of the original bus
and creates two or more "virtual" busses with the small wrapper code to
set the control bits appropriately for each access.  As long as every
bus command (smbus_write_byte, smbus_read_byte, smbus_quick, etc.) is
atomic, there shouldn't be any problems with any access pattern to each
bus.  To enforce atomic transactions, it may be necessary to use a mutex
to single thread access to the virtual busses.

One configuration that will be needed is something to take care of
devices that appear on the bus for both settings of the MUX.  Some way
to specify that only device ID's in a given range, or specific device
ID's that appear on secondary virtual buses.  So if an address is
requested that is not in the list, it fails or returns a non-response.
 Otherwise, shared devices would appear twice, which *would* be bad.

Just a thought.
:v)