i2c_smbus_write_* will never work

>Correction, i2cset can't be used to reproduce the problem because it uses
>i2c-dev.h, not the functions in i2c-core.c.

How does it matter? i2c-dev is just the access point, it has no real
(I2C/SMBus-related) code, has it? So I guess that the commands will end
up in i2c-core, whether they come from a chip driver or i2c-dev. After
all, i2c-dev is nothing but a universal, user-space controllable chip
driver.

>However using admxxxx drivers on a driver with i2c-algo-bit should show the
>problem if it exists.

I did that several times and can confirm it always worked fine. So,
whatever the exact problem is, it's more complex than just "emulated
smbus writes don't work".

Jean Delvare