I2C block read fixed size to 32

good question.

you want to make the size bigger or smaller?
I'll assume you are using a bit-banging (i2c-algo-bit) adatper here...

It's true, if you use the call
i2c_smbus_read_i2c_block_data(),
the size is fixed at 32. This is enforced in these functions
and in i2c_smbus_xfer_emulated().

You can avoid this limitation by making a direct call to i2c_transfer(),
you should be able to find some drivers in the kernel that use i2c_transfer()
as an example.

If you have a proposal on a clean way to set the size on calls to
i2c_smbus_read_i2c_block_data()
we'll be happy to discuss it with you.

mds