SOLVED: I2C and lm-sensors : gentoo-sources 2.4.25 and your patches

Hi, Jean,

thank you for your answer - you're quick!

And: Once again: Thank you so much for your really helpful page I cited the
mail before! The cooking recipee worked out.

Only point with due respect (simply out of date, I guess) was that I tried to
really combine 2.4.25-r2 with i2c-2.8.4 and lm-sensors-2.8.4, instead of
lm-sensors-2.8.6, as stated on the lm-sensors home page; perhaps you would
like to update this detail on your estimable condensed compilation.

Am Monday 03 May 2004 21:58 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> The original plan was to get the new i2c stuff into Linux 2.4 main line,
> but Marcello let us understand that this was not going to happen. So
> I'll be direct: there is no more plan to bring compatibility back at the
> moment.
		hmm ... o.k. ...
> So the correct thing to do now would be to revert the changes we made so
> that it is compatible with the 2.4 kernel again.
> Unfortunately, I have neither the skills nor the time to do it.
	And if you did it, you may run into the danger to be thrown upon with insults
that now - after people had undergone the labour of patching - perhaps a
small detail of gained functionality does not work any more ... Due to
experiences in 20 years of large-scale projects, this sounds to me like
shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted ;-) Perhaps it's the right
attitude to save that enegry for other purposes, now ... just learn the
lesson for next time ... if anybody wants to listen, next time  ;-((

Guess I have to spend myself a good new working-horse again when AMD has
stabilized it's Athlon 64-bit line (esp. memory controller limitations), and
childhood deseases of the MoBo have drained a bit more ... As a pure app/file
server, the G400 in the old one won't have to do dual-head graphics any
more ;-) so I have to survive approx. one year with 2.4.xx, I guess.

[ P.S.: The only problem I observe, is the lack of graphics card alternatives
with good open source drivers! All those lemmings are voting with their
wallets for pure pixel clock speeds regardless of fan weight - and not for
_access_ to the desired functionality. ]

> If anyone wants to help, please let us know.
>
> Sorry.
You did / do a very good job !

Kind regards from Munich

Manfred