Reading a compass CMPS03

Mark Studebaker writes:
 > What value of pullup resistor are you using?
 > 5K is probably about right. Definitely not less than 1K.
 > I note that doc/i2c-pport doesn't make a recommendation.

Well it actually says: "no pullups requied" (sic), which I believed because
of the resistor on the "out pin" on the diagram in the same file.
Moreover, a pullup resistor would make it even harder for the device to
pull down the signal, which seems to be what causes the noack problem.
Right?

Cheers,

Fred