update_lock

Hi all,

I have a question about the locking mechanism we have in all our i2c
client drivers, 2.4 and 2.6 as well.

The data->update_lock semaphore is used in the *_update_dev function,
and only there. There are various other places all over the drivers
where we access the same internal data, (in get callback functions) and
even write to it (in store callback functions typically), and also
access the i2c bus (in store functions too).

Why is it that we don't use the lock here?

What are we trying to protect exactly?

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare