i2c core enhancements

LM Sensors Maintainer,

I have developed an OpenIPMI kernel module for a SMBus interface that
registers with the OpenIPMI driver. It uses the SMBus interfaces the I2C
driver exports to communicate with a BMC (Baseboard Management
Controller) on the SMBus. There are 2 modifications it requires to the
i2c core:

1.	The i2c_delay() inline function needs to spin delay under 2
circumstances, 1) when the system is shutting down, all processes are
signaled which short circuits the current i2c_delay(). 2) when the
kernel panics, the IPMI driver attempts to log a record to the SEL
(System Event Log) of the BMC.  In both circumstances the system is
going down so the spin delay will not affect system performance. The
modification includes a method to set a flag that i2c_delay() tests to
see if it should spin-delay.
2.	Pointers to module use count functions are needed to keep the
kernel from panic-ing when modules are unloaded in an improper order.
This is an enhancement I picked up from RedHat's implementation of the
i2c driver, adapter, and client modules. I have modified the i801 bus
driver to include these module count routines. It has also been enhanced
it to include a new ICH chip. Those enhancements will be merged with the
2.8.4 release and forwarded separately.

Attached are diffs of the 2.8.2 release for i2c-core.c and i2c.h that
reflect the modifications described above. I hope you will consider
these small enhances to the LM_Sensors project. For more information
about the OpenIPMI project maintained by Corey Minyard see
http://openipmi.sourceforge.net/.

Thank you for your consideration.

Todd C. Davis

These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of Intel
Corp.

Telco Systems Development

Intel Corporation, Columbia Design Center

100 Center Point Circle
Suite 200, CBA-1

Columbia, SC 29210

(803) 216-2361