I2C chip driver functionality check -- help?

Great question.

I just checked our sources and couldn't find any usage for I2C_FUNC_I2C except for
the i2c-iop3xx driver supporting it.
Not a single chip driver checks it.

I can't say for sure what the intent was for I2C_FUNC_I2C.

But I do know that the preferred method for chip drivers,
and the method that can take advantage of the functionality bitmask,
is to use the i2c_smbus_xxx calls for all accesses.
Those capabilities are exported as I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_xxx bits.

The advantage is that they will work with both low-level i2c
bit-banging drivers, like i2c-algo-bit, and high-level
PCI SMBus drivers. That's because i2c-core contains
an "emulation layer" such that calls get
converted as neccessary to work with the particular adapter.

Then you can check for the specific operations you require with the functionality,
and it will work on any adapter that supports it, whether smbus or i2c.

The low-level i2c_master_xxx calls shouldn't be necessary unless you are
doing i2c-specific things that i2c-core doesn't provide exported as
a i2c_smbus_xxx call. And if you do need something like that,
you may want to discuss it with us, perhaps it should be in i2c-core.

If you must use master_xfer, (i.e. it must be a low-level i2c adapter),
the correct method of detecting that capability is
	if(adapter->algo->master_xfer) {
		/* you're good */
	} else {
		/* must be an smbus adapter */
	}
i.e., check that the function is non-null.

let us know if you have other questions.

mds