i2cdetect -l is broken

Hi all,

i2cdetect -l is broken on drivers which handle more than a single i2c
bus (radeonfb in my case). It'll print the same name for all busses, and
shouldn't.

I took a look at the sysfs tree and I couldn't find any way to correct
it. The fact that i2c-adapters and i2c-devs don't use the same numbering
policy doesn't give us much chance.

As far as I can tell, i2c-adapters numbering policy is to use N+1 for a
new adapter, where N is the biggest number already use at the moment,
while i2c-devs numbering policy is to use the lowest available.

Why don't we just chose one common policy for both? I have no strong
preference, both policies are OK, but having two names for the same
thing at a given moment is a real pain. Not being able to deduce the
correct i2cdetect or i2cdump command from the output of sensors will
make helping users way harder, I fear.

OK, I guess that I have been missing something. If it was that easy,
wouldn't it have already been fixed?

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare