Ticket 1552

[Please CC: the mailing-list on reply.]

Quoting myself:

> We usually ignore read errors in chip drivers because they are rare,
> but since it happens so frequently with that specific chip, we will
> have to do it here. I will try to implement the solutions listed
> above, if you want to help me test them.

Here is a patch, tested to apply and compile on Linux 2.6.2-rc3. Could
you please give it a try? It should solve the rare "-1" readings
problem, as well as possible misdetection issues.

If the driver is really unable to read a register value, it will
silently return the previously known value (or 0 if it doesn't have one
yet). Maybe we could log the incident, although I'm fairly certain it
will never happen, providing the number of max retries is high enough
(I set it to 5 for now).

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare