lm-sensors: w83627hf.c (fwd)

* Damian Menscher <menscher at uiuc.edu> [2004-01-14 02:26:44 -0600]:
> I wrote in April 2003 that I have an Intel SE7505VB2 motherboard with
> the Winbond W83627HF chip.  My motherboard somehow manages to monitor 6
> fans, but this chip can only handle 3 fans.  How it monitored 6 was a
> mystery.  You responded that you didn't know, but I should tell you if I
> figured it out.
>
> In July 2003 I got an email from Kevin Schuchmann <kschuchm at us.ibm.com>
> who suggested I read the Intel specification more closely, specifically
> section 3.3.1.  Apparently Intel is using two of the GPIOs on the
> Winbond chip (GPIO13 and GPIO15 on pins 125 and 123, respectively) as
> FanSlct1# and FanSlct2#.  It's not clear that they're using the second
> one, but the first (which is definitely being used) would be enough to
> act as a toggle for which "bank" of fans to monitor.  The Intel
> documentation lists this as output:
>   Function select: CR2A<7>=1 & CR2A<3>=1 & LD7[F0h]<3>=0
>   Data: LD7[F1h]<3>
> The Winbond documentation indicates it is general purpose I/O port 1 bit
> 3 (from the table in section 1.8 of their documentation).
>
> The Intel spec sheet is available online at:
> ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7505vb2/tps.pdf
>
> The Winbond spec sheet is available online at:
> http://www.winbond.com/PDF/sheet/w83627hf.pdf
>
> If you have time, there are a few of us out there that would appreciate
> it if you could add support for this configuration.

I don't see an easy way to support such a configuration _in general_.
The design of the chip drivers just doesn't account for such a thing.
More than a handful of such boards, each with different permutations
of h/w routed by different GPIOs would get quite ugly.

In the _specific_ case, it shouldn't be too hard to hack in support for
it as a one-off.  Make three readings, throw the magic switch, and make
three more.  I guess we wouldn't want to maintain that in our CVS though.

I.e. you'll likely have to code it yourself, sorry.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com