ASUS P4P800/W83627THF Fan Problems

> I'm using Kernel 2.6.1-rc2(2.6.0 gave the same results..) and the
> included i2c modules etc (w83781d driver).
> The Temperature and Voltage Readings work, yet i cant read nor set the
> the Fan speed of my CPUFan.
>  cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0290/fan_input[123] shows always 0,

See FAQ 4.1.1.
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/lm_sensors-FAQ.html#Section%204.1

> and changing pwm[12] doesn't change the fan speed, pwm_enable2 is set to 1
> (there is no other pwm_enable).
> I have disabled Asus QFan in the BIOS so it shouldn't interfere with
> this.. Is this a known problem and will/can it be solved somehow?

PWM doesn't work on all systems, depends on how the chipset is wired by
the motherboard manufacturer. You should read this document:
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/fancontrol.txt
And then try user-space tools from the prog/pwm directory. But in any
case you want to fix the fan speed readings before, or you won't go
anywhere.

Note that we have another driver for the W83627THF but it hasn't been
ported to Linux 2.6 yet... When it will be, you should get better
results using it than the w83781d driver. If you're interested in
porting it yourself, let me know and I'll tell you everything you need
to know.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/