modprobe adm1021 causes abit nf7-s to hang

> I'm sorry that I cannot write you in French. I hope that English will
> suffice. Your website lists you as an active member of the LM Sensors
> project team. I apologize if I should have used an lmsensors ticket.
> I could resubmit this report there if that is preferable.

Prefered solution is the mailing-list, CC'd.

> On Google I found this:
> http://archives.andrew.net.au/lm-sensors/msg04624.html
>
> I'm experiencing the exact same problems with a 2.4.23 kernel and
> i2c-2.8.2 + lm_sensors-2.8.2 from source. My distro is Debian sid,
> but lm_sensors is currently at 2.8.1-2, so I tried source instead before
> reporting a bug.

Strange you have the problem with 2.8.2, since what was believed to cause the
problem is supposed to be fixed since that version.

> I have compiled and installed i2c and lm_sensors. After this I have run
> sensors-detect. It suggests the following drivers:
>
> # I2C adapter drivers
> i2c-nforce2
> i2c-nforce2
> i2c-isa
> # I2C chip drivers
> adm1021
> eeprom
> w83781d

Does it really list i2c-nforce2 twice? How strange. Maybe we should fix that.

> However, my box hangs after modprobing adm1021. I have tried your
> suggestion in the URL at the top, to use sensors-detect from CVS. There
> are some errors running it:
>
> [adapter probings]
>  If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address,
> you can specify that address to remain unprobed. That often includes
> address 0x69 (clock chip). Error: First argument not a number!
> (...)

The sensors-detect script from CVS currently needs i2cdetect from CVS too. You
may be easier getting a full CVS checkout.

> Can I supply you with additional information to help you help me :) ?

I'd be interested in the following things:

1* A full run of sensors-detect, either 2.8.2 or CVS as long as it works, with
no driver loaded.

2* An i2cdetect run on all your i2c busses after loading i2c-nforce2 (but
before loading *any* chip driver).

My guess is that the adm1021 driver tries to handle a device that is not
adm1021-compatible. The requsted information should confirm or infirm this.

Thanks.

--
       /~~       Jean "Khali" Delvare
  -----\_                        mail: delvare at ensicaen.ismra.fr