System hanging using CSB5 chip with 2.8.1 - No longer

Some Xeons have honest to goodness, real live, actual MAX1617 chips on
them.  Others Xeons made around the same time have other ADM1021
compatible chips on them.  They are mounted on the CPU substrate along
with the processor information EEPROM that is part of that generation of
Xeon CPU's.

So it's basically impossible to tell a Xeon TEMP sensor from a MAX1617
since they are in fact the same chip.  The Xeon Temperature sensors spec
is just a stripped down register spec for the ADM1021 that says the
"on-board" or "built-in" sensor registers are "reserved".  That way
Intel could substitute whatever ADM1021 compatible chip was cheapest at
the time when they built the CPU's.

The only reason to have the xeontemp driver is if, when Intel built your
particular Xeon's, they didn't use any of the ADM1021 compatible chips
that the ADM1021 driver recognizes.  In that case, using the xeontemp
driver will get you the temperatures you want without potentially
messing up something in the sensor.  I had a pair of Xeons that had
sensors that weren't recognized, but I've long since stopped using them.

Unfortunately, the 533MHz FSB Xeon's, dropped the on-board sensor chip.
 So these new Xeons require a sensor on the motherboard to be connected
to the thermal diode to read the temperature.  But these 533MHz capable
motherboards can also accept 400MHz CPU's with the on-board sensor so it
gets confusing in a hury for motherboard vendors, user and us.

I would suggest that we say:

If you have 400MHz FSB P4 Xeon CPU's, you should have an on-CPU ADM1021
compatible sensor at 0x18 or 0x19.  In that case, use the ADM1021 driver
if it detects a chip at that address.  The CPU DIE temperature (Tj) will
be the "REMOTE" temperature from this sensor.  The "Board" or "built-in"
temperature from the ADM1021 will be the temperature of the ADM1021
compatible itself which is one of the chips you see on the side of the CPU.

If you have sensors at 0x18 and 0x19 that are not detected by the
ADM1021, and you have 400MHz Xeons, then you may want to try the
xeontemp driver.

If you have 533MHZ FSB Xeons, then you do *not* have an on-board thermal
sensor and you should look for CPU temperatures from the other sensors
on your motherboard. (Winbond chip for example).

-------
That's my two cents.
:v)