EEPROM read/write user space program

Thanks Jean and hi to the mailing list.
I wrote to Jean because I wrote a program to read/write to EEPROMs using the
SMBus and I would like to share it.

I found problems with 'eepromer' because it requires (based on my
understanding of the problem, mailing list comments will be very
appreciated:) a plain I2C capable bus.

My chipset (viapro) is not able to send/recv plain I2C commands (master_xfer
is set to NULL into my adapter i2c_algorithm structure) but it's able to use
SMBus transfers and 'eeprog', the program I wrote, just use SMBus commands.

The result is that running 'eeprog' I can read/write to 24Cxx EEPROMs with any
SMBus bus adapter without requiring a plain I2C-capable chipset while
'eepromer' or 'eeprom' on such systems will not work.

I'm not an expert on the i2c topic so I'm not sure that my understanding of
the topic is, well, correct so if somebody here can confirm that 'eepromer'
has those limits and that 'eeprog' could be useful then I'll be happy to know
that I've not lost hours of my time for nothing :)

thanks.

stefano

p.s. program URLs are quoted below.