-------- Original Message --------
From: 	- Thu Nov 6 14:43:07 2003
Date: 	Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:42:13 -0500
From: 	Keith Kyzivat <kkyzivat at physiometrix.com>
To: 	phil at netroedge.com
Subject: 	userland i2c ioctl commands..

Hello Phil,

I'm trying to track down why i2c ioctl command defines and other
userland useful bits were left out of i2c-dev.h in the kernel includes.

After upgrading to the latest 2.4.22 kernel from an older 2.4.21 kernel,
our i2c SMBus code failed to compile -- I tracked it down to a missing
i2c IOCTL command define that was originally in i2c.h - (still is
actually) that was included by i2c-dev.h.  This no longer happens...
I noticed that the newer version of i2c.h doesn't have kernel
conditional code, and it breaks if userland code includes it (due to the
externed syscall function prototypes for one)...

I poked around at your lmsensors package, and I notice that it provides
its own i2c-dev.h file -- including all the ioctl commands and other
parameters that are in i2c.h, along with the normal contents of
i2c-dev.h from the kernel includes.

My question to you is, will the __KERNEL__ checking return, letting
userspace programs include i2c.h again?
I'm trying to keep my program as OS independant as possible, and this
just adds to the os-specific stuff (having to add a modified i2c-dev.h
file)...

Thank you!
Keith Kyzivat
Software Architect