flex scanner jammed problem

> > I admit I could have guess that (syn-apt-ic after all). But since I
> > don't use apt anyway...
>
> hey you should ;) great thing! easy to manage... simply search for
> package lm_sensors and click on install, and soon your jammed your
> flex scanner ;)

I use Slackware. Ease to manage too ;) OK, OK, I'll give a try to Debian
someday.

> > Your vid reading could be wrong, try changing vrm in the config
> > file.
>
> I did, now the values are right:
>
> w83627hf-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Algorithm: ISA algorithm
> VCore 1:   +1.52 V  (min =  +1.44 V, max =  +1.60 V)

Yup, that one is OK.

> VCore 2:   +1.69 V  (min =  +1.44 V, max =  +1.60 V)

Is this value changing? If you have a single-plan CPU, this value
doesn't make sense and you should add an "ignore in1" statement to you
config file.

> fan1:     2045 RPM  (min = 1500 RPM, div = 4)
> fan2:     1599 RPM  (min = 1500 RPM, div = 4)
> fan3:     1339 RPM  (min = 1500 RPM, div = 4)

Your fans are running really low. A least, I guess your computer is
really quiet :)

> temp3:     +71.0C  (limit =  +60C, hysteresis =  +50C) sensor =
> thermistor   ALARM

That's quite high, maybe you should invest in higher-speed fans.

> > > Adapter: saa7134[0]
> > > Algorithm: saa7134
> >
> > What's that thing?
>
> it's my Terratec Cinergy 400 TV tuner card. I kicked it from the
> lm_sensors file. didn't change anything.

The sensors program doesn't know a thing about it, so I wonder why it is
showing there. Will take a look someday.

> > What if you plain delete the config file?
>
> Then ksensors and ksysguard work! So they use the same config file...

Good thing to know. Then, my analysis is that you have two different
versions of libsensors on your disk. One old for ksensors/ksysguard, and
one new for sensors. Running ldd on these binaries should confirm that.
In that case, you should use a configuration file that work for both
(which means,: that work for the old library, since the new library is
already OK). To do so, either strip your current file so that it only
contains the w83627hf-* section (you just don't care about the others),
or get etc/sensors.conf.eg from lm_sensors-2.7.0 or older, until it's
OK.

> > > Ok, in the meantime, I'm running varyfan very succesfully... PWM
> > > works nice.
> >
> > I did not know about that program, thanks for the information. I am
> > going to add a link on our useful addresses page. I wonder if it
> > offers something the programs included in our package don't.
>
> I didn't try them out, you can specify temperatures, fan speed,
> slowdown speed... it was right what I needed.

Would you have some time to give them a try and tell us how they behave
compared with varyfan? I'd appreciate that.

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/