A question about lm_sensors on IBM

Jean Delvare wrote:

>>Hello, Philip.
>
> I'm not Philip, but hey, I want to answer :p

Well, I'm sure that's almost as good ;)

>>I work for a company who has in the past used lm_sensors for
>>monitoring temperature in various hardware running linux, and we've
>>been really impressed with it.
>>
>>The problem we've got now is that we are required to use some IBM
>>servers, and of course lm_sensors won't run on them because of the
>>Thinkpad 24RF08 EPROM issue.
>>
>>The other problem we've got is that because of other software
>>constraints, we cannot upgrade our Linux past an approximate RedHat
>>7.0 (Kernel 2.2.16).  This means that 1) All of IBM's proprietary
>>temperature monitoring stuff won't run, and 2) I am stuck using
>>lm_sensors/i2c 2.7.0
>>
>>As far as I can tell so far these servers need the 'piix4' module.
>>
>>I need to know if I can disable the check for the vendorID throughout
>>lm_sensors, and if so how involved a change this would be, or if
>>someone else has already done this.  I will of course only do so if
>>our IBM servers do not have the affected 24RF08 EPROM chip in them.
>>
>>Thanks for any help or advice you can give me on how to do this.
>
> Here you go. There are two places where you want to disable the check.
> In sensors-detect first, in i2c-piix4.c then.
>
> In sensors-detect, go to line 3075 and remove the call to
> safe_system_vendor (replace it with 0).
>
> In i2c-piix4.c, go to line 247 and remove the call to ibm_dmi_probe
> (replace it with 0).

Right on, this is exactly what I wanted to know!

> Note that we don't in any way endorse any consequences of following the
> instructions right above. The checks you will be removing have a reason
> to be there, bypassing them is dangerous. We are not liable for any
> hardware damage, nor anything else, that this could cause.

Understood.  I can't imagine how someone would hold an unknown number of
opensource software developers responsible / liable for anything besides
making good software anyway, but I won't even bother to alter the code
at all unless I get a strong answer from my IBM people on whether or not
these computers we're using use the affected chip.

> However, if you decide to go on, we would be interested in learning
> about your experience. If you can have lm_sensors working efficiently on
> your system, we'll start working on a whitelist of known-to-be-safe IBM
> systems, so that other users will benefit of your work. Thanks!

I'd be happy to help out!  I'll tell y'all as soon as I know if it
worked, if I didn't attempt it, or if lm_sensors ate my machine.

--
Jim Ramsay
Programmer Analyst
email: ramsay at sedsystems.ca