Keywest detection

The driver does it's internal device detection using Open Firmware.
Take a look at this in the kernel source:

arch/ppc/kernel/prom.c

It's sort of like a PCI device table, except it includes all sorts of
hardware interfaces besides just PCI devices.  If you have a newer Mac
around (made within the last few years), you can hold down option-o-f
while booting to get into the Open Firmware 'shell'.  It's a Forth type
interpreter which lets you do various things like browse the hardware of
the computer or change some boot params.

Links of interest:

http://playground.sun.com/1275/home.html

Here's a great tutorial from Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html