Gnome hangs after sensors installation

> I just installed lm-sensors 2.8.0 on my Debian PPC - it said:
> Installation successful. My computer hung itself up when I done
> sensors-detect. At startup I know get:

At which point of sensors-detect dit hit hang?

> vector: 300 at pc = e238c288, lr = e238f080
> Msr = 9032, sp = d8817cf0 [d8817c40]
> Current = d8816000, pid = 661, comm = modprobe
> Mon>
>
> My Gnome-Startup hangs and nothing at all happens. When I reboot the
> same happens again.
>
> Any hints how I can get my computer back working again?

Gasp :( All that work to only break your computer... Maybe we should
have just given up before.

You need to access your filesystem from another way (usually, Linux
installation CDs offer a way to get a working console, or you have to
boot from one or two floppy disks). Once you're there, you'll have to
mount your root partition somewhere. For example, do:

mkdir /tmp/root
mount /dev/hdb1 /tmp/root

(This assumes that your Linux root disk is /dev/hdb1. Change to whatever
it is).

Then, go to /tmp/root/etc/rc.d/sysconfig/. You must have a "lm_sensors"
init script there, which is the one that crashes your system. Delete it:

rm -f /tmp/root/etc/rc.d/sysconfig/lm_sensors.

Then unmount your root dir:

cd /
umount /tmp/root

And reboot the usual way. Things should be back to normal.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/