error: "SMBus collision!"/"sending abort" in 2.6.0test2

* Charles Lepple <clepple at ghz.cc> [2003-07-30 23:21:10 -0400]:
> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 11:04  PM, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
>
> >* Charles Lepple <clepple at ghz.cc> [2003-07-29 21:35:35 -0400]:
> >>I accidentally started up two copies of a sensord-for-2.6 kludge (just
> >>cats a bunch of /sys nodes, and jams the results into rrdtool). A
> >>little while after I started the second copy, I started seeing this in
> >>my kern.log:
> >>
> >>Jul 29 21:19:45 vole kernel: i2c_adapter i2c-0:  SMBus collision!
> >>Jul 29 21:19:46 vole kernel: i2c_adapter i2c-0: : Sending abort.
> >>Jul 29 21:20:17 vole last message repeated 52 times
> >
> >What I2C bus driver?
> >
> >What sensors chip driver?
>
> my fault, that was an embarrassingly poor bug report.
>
> It's an AMD 76x bus controller (i2c-amd76x), and both a W83627HF and a
> W83782D chip controlled by the w83781d driver.

Ummm...  Google comes up empty on "i2c-amd76x"... do you mean i2c-amd756?

> This setup requires the crazy init=0 and force_subclients deal that
> other 760MP chipset users have reported in the trouble ticket area.
>
> Driver version is 2.7.0 (20021208). I haven't gotten around to making
> 2.8.0 work with the 2.6 kernel.

Now I'm lost:  How could you be using w83781d.c version 2.7.0 with the
2.6 kernel?  Either you hacked it to pieces (needlessly, since it
was already ported to 2.6) or I am totally not understanding you.

Please explain in detail what you did to build this system.

> >>removing the modules didn't help-- nothing showed up in
> >>/sys/bus/i2c/devices afterwards.
> >>
> >>ideas?
> >
> >I would like to try to reproduce this, but not until this weekend.
> >Would running 2-3 shell scripts simultaneously which cat the /sys
> >values to /dev/null be good enough?
>
> I would assume so. It'll probably take some random time skew between
> the scripts to trigger the problem, because I think there was a delay
> between the beginning of the script, and the beginning of the error
> messages.
>
> I was trying to figure out some power management and ntp interaction
> problems that required some extended uptime, so I didn't try and
> reproduce the problem after rebooting.
>
> Afterwards I happened to see some reports on LKML of interactions
> between ACPI and the sensor chips, but the ACPI implementation is so
> weak on this board (a Tyan S2460) that I doubt the ACPI portion of the
> BIOS even knows about the I2C bus.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman