Two Masters on one Bus?

Hello list,

I'm currently wondering if it is possible to have two master devices
connected to one I2C-Bus. I will also look into the I2C-Specifications, but
I guess most of you would know the answer on-the-fly. I have a book (about
a Motorola Microcontroller), where it is described to use the MC as an
I2C-Master. It sais there, that it is "sometimes" possible to drive two
masters on one bus, but not how specifically.

The intention is to build a small Home-Controller connected to the server,
and I've thought about connecting them using I2C (easiest, only two/four
wires needed). The "plain" way would be to implement the I2C-Slave Protocol
on the MC, but that seems somewhat hard to accomplish, since it is a rather
slow processor doing quite some other things (such as driving an LCD, where
a refresh already takes ~10ms). So I thought about using both server and
controller as a Master Device, sharing an EEPROM where they can exchange
data.

Greetings,
Sascha