Yay for 2.8.0

Jean Delvare wrote:
>>Congratulations and thanks to everyone for helping get out
>>our first release in 7 months.
>>
>>Let's try to get back to a 2-4 month release cycle if possible.
>

> I definitely agree. 7 months is just too much.
>

>>- Please don't forget to update CHANGES, it's the only way we can keep
>>  track of things and when I try to record what others have done I
>>  inevitably miss things
>

> I'll try. I admit I generally don't feel like my changes are important
> enough to be added to the file, but maybe I'm wrong.

when you're answering tickets it's very helpful to know about
which release fixes (even small ones) were put in.

>>- Please help with tickets
>

> OK, no problem. How?
>

>>- Khali can you copy i2c lk2-4 over to HEAD and update the CVS docs?
>

> I don't think I should. This is a very sensible operation that would
> require a complete CVS repository backup, and only Phil can to that.
> However, I have been searching a way to move the HEAD tag to another
> branch. It does not seem to be possible. All answers I have read in
> mailing lists say you have to merge the changes of the branch (lk2-4)
> into the trunk (HEAD) and not the other way around.
>
> Two threads I would like everyone to read:
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-cvs/2002-09/msg00225.html
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-cvs/2000-11/msg00108.html
>
> My conclusion are that if we have a tag matching the start of the lm2-4
> branch (refered to as branch-2-4-ROOTPOINT in the lines below), we can
> do the following (as suggested by my friend Pollux):
>
>    # Go to HEAD.
>    cvs up -PdA
>    cvs tag HEAD-before-revert-of-2-5-changes
>    # Revert all HEAD changes since branch-2-4-ROOTPOINT
>    cvs up -j HEAD-before-revert-of-2-5-changes -j branch-2-4-ROOTPOINT
>    cvs commit
>    cvs tag HEAD-after-revert-of-2-5-changes
>
> However, it does *not* seem to be the case. I could not see a tag at
> this point of the tree, unless one of MK's are. That would help. I
> guess.
>
> Anyway, I think the above commands would add the changes of the lk2-4
> branch to the ones in the trunk, not *replace* them as I think we want
> to do. So the big "diff, patch, commit" solution as suggested by Philip
> Pokorny may be what we want to do.

If we can copy the change history from the branch to HEAD with a revert-and-merge
that would be great, although we would lose Kyosti's 2.5 change history.
I don't know what would be best.

>>- Khali can you please change all the "CVS" entries to "2.8.0" on the
>>  new drivers page?
>

> I'll do so. I think there is more to do than just that. All drivers that
> are in 2.8.0 should be moved to the "supported devices" page. The tables
> on this page should have a "first in release" column as the new drivers
> tables do for now. I think this column does not make sense for the new
> drivers page. If the drivers are new, the MUST be new in CVS, or they
> are not really new. Do you agree?

My practice has been to put new, requested, unstable, or recent drivers
on the "new" page, and only take them off one release later.

>>- I'll update freshmeat tomorrow.

I meant today :)

> Great. I'll go and buy a hey-you-it-doesnt-work-proof jacket right now
> :)
>
> Oh and BTW, glad to see you back. I was wondering if you had been
> hijacked by some nasty aliens or something ;)

might have been working or something :)