mkpatch works

I guess that depends on what the expected use of the mkpatch script is.

Is the idea to inject a specific version of lm_sensors into a kernel
tree for development and tweaking.  Perhaps someone is playing with
config file options, or other kernel patches and wants i2c/sensors
available as modules in all the development work they do?  (Alan Cox's
-ac kernel trees, OS distro developers...)

Or is it meant for people compiling a monolithic kernel and therefore
need the i2c/sensors files to be in the kernel tree for linking into the
monolithic kernel?

In the first case, you're not going to run "make install" so you're
going to have to provide the files in a different manner.

In the second case, you're right.  "make install" or something similar
could just install in $(PREFIX)/include/linux...

:v)