i2c-2.7.0 compile errors... right place to ask?

First off, I am a novice at kernel-related stuff, I've only compiled one a
few times, and that was with lots of help, and I've never done anything with
modules.

So I was attempting this compile on a RH 8.0 box, but I ran up2date and
updated the kernel, so I don't think the source matches. I think that
might've been the cause of the problems on that one.

So I switched to a different box running RH 7.3, and I'm still getting
errors, but they seem to be a bit more rational. I believe it has something
to do with where the headers are installed, but I'm at a loss...

I'm running kernel 2.4.18-10 on it, and I downloaded the source from
ftp.kernel.org, gunzipped it and untarred it in /usr/src, so all the source
is located in /usr/src/linux.

I don't know what I should be doing to the kernel source from there, or if I
should be doing anything at all. I did a "make clean" there, but that's all.

So I go to the i2c source dir and do a "make clean" and then a "make
install" and I get this:
gcc -I/lib/modules/2.4.18-10/build/include -O2 -DLM_SENSORS -D__KERNEL__
-DMODULE -fomit-frame-pointer -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c kernel/i2c-core.c -o
kernel/i2c-core.o
In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:20, from
kernel/i2c-core.c:26:
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
kernel-headers system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather headers from an
appropriate kernel-source package.
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include
(or similar) to
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build/include
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the
currently-running kernel.
kernel/i2c-core.c:43:25: asm/uaccess.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [kernel/i2c-core.o] Error 1

I looked at the paths in the Makefile, but they seem ok set to default.

Also, how do I know if i2c support is compiled into my kernel?

Thanks!