Call for 2.8.0 soon

One reason not to have the version numbers track is that we should
advance the major number of the library when there is an incompatibility introduced
within the library.

We generally advance the middle number of the sensors and i2c packages when there
is support removed for a certain kernel version.

In other words the guidelines for the two numbering systems are independent.