asus p4pe lm_sensors detection solved

Hi,

I've been trying to get lm_sensors working correctly on an ASUS P4PE
motherboard (the ASB100 Bach driver/ as99127f/w83781d) for quite a while.

The comments on your driver status page are:
---

Asus ASB100 Bach yes - as a as99127f (2.6.5) w83781d yes   2.6.5

Contributed by Mark Hoffman. Several reports that the chip is not detected
correctly.

---

I had tried a few months ago (using lm_sensors 2.7.0 as supplied with my
mandrake9.1 distribution) and had a similar experience to that noted there
and in your self-serve support ticket# 1108. The comment there said you were
aware of the problem, but the fix may take a 'few weeks'.

(I couldn't find a way to comment on an existing ticket, and didn't want to
open a new ticket to report a solution, so I'm sending this email to both the
development list and the originator of #1108 directly.)

I noticed recently on the kernel mailing list that someone submitted a PCI
quirks patch for the p4pe and other asus boards, to enable the i801 SMBus
device, which asus have decided to disable by default on some boards:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2003-11/0868.html

The patch was for 2.5.65, but I had no trouble pasting it into quirks.c on
2.4.21 and re-building.

This seems to do the trick - now sensors-detect has found some chips, made me
a recommended configuration, and sensors now shows me a bunch of
temperatures, voltages and speeds. I imagine I have some configuring still to
do, but I figured you'd probably want to make a note of this in your FAQ...

Cheers,
Cris

c.bailiff+lmsensors at devsecure.com